Sunday, October 16, 2016

7 things I learned from living away from home

As someone who grew up in her hometown, who spent her school days in the city and spent half of her life going home everyday, the thought of being away from what she already thought is her whole life seems to be unbearable.. at first.

For 25 years, my whole world literally revolved around the town where I grew up. Family, friends, school, work, hobbies etc. Everything I needed is right on my fingertips. I felt complete, stable and satisfied. Until that one day that I need to move away from home. I had so many questions on my mind. How can I survive? Who will help me there? What will I do in case of emergency or something? Where will I go for help? Can I make it? I am so scared and I have no idea on how to live outside my world.

Everything is scary in the beginning, well I guess even in the middle. But when you had a peek of what is something new for you, when everything is said and done, all you have are lessons, experiences and a whole new bunch of knowledge for another chapter of your life.


The very familiar road :)



So to share with you the things (realizations) I learned from living away from my home, read more. 😉

1. I begin to make new friends (or acquaintances).

"No man is an island", as a saying goes. No matter where you go, always prepare that smile! I've met a lot of people while away, some stayed as acquaintances and others became my true friends. Even if you think you can live your life well alone, think again. They are the people who can help you when your family and old friends can't be there for you. Friends are one of the reasons why the world is a better place and your life, a little brighter, even at your darkest times.

2. I learned how to be more positive and stronger.

I am a small girl thrown into this unfamiliar place. A far place that I've never had traveled my whole life. And now I need to stay in it for quite some time. All I want to do is break down and cry  (actually, that's what I've done in my first few months). Until I realized that no one can help me but myself. Of course, with the support of my family and friends, I got passed through it. Thank God! That's when I decided to be strong, little by little, I felt a change in who I am the first time I stepped on that place.

3.I learned how to work around the house.

It is important that you know the basics. This line is not just applicable to sports but to life as well. There was a time that I was locked in my room and my phone was already in my car. I am so helpless! Good thing, my dad taught me how to change a doorknob. That was my lifesaver! Literally speaking, a basic knowledge on some things is very essential. Especially when you are all by yourself. You should know how to change a busted bulb, how to fix a clogged toilet, how to cook, the list goes on. The point here is, you are now independent. So you better start reading, talk with people and start being curious on the things around you.

4. I realized there will be no place like home. Ever.

Being far away from home made me realize how important my family is for me. I admit that a lot of times, I took them for granted not knowing what purpose they have in my life. When I became independent, a lot of times I wished that I am at home. Where the meals for the entire day were carefully prepared by my mom, the maid would take care of my laundry, my siblings are there where I can easily ask them to hang out wherever. When I was alone, I realized all these simple but big blessings that I have. So while time permits, and you still have them, family, loved ones and friends, treasure them. Value them. Because it is true that you don't know the value of a person until he/she is gone.

5. I started saving and investing on my future.

While it's not easy to be all alone, it is much more difficult to manage your finances. Being on my own, I need to budget my money in order for me to have something to spend and something to save. Before, I would easily splurge on things, but when I got a taste of how important money is, many questions boggled my mind before purchasing a luxury. I have also took into consideration the investments I need to make to have a secured life.

6. I realized that I have changed.. a LOT.

I am no longer the awkward and scared girl I once was the first time I took a step on this place. In every chapter of our lives, there will always be lessons and challenges. I have grown to be a woman that I could proudly say, a lot closer to the woman I aspired to be. From the immature, cry baby I was before, to an independent and more equipped lady today, I could say, I love the change I had. The change that I could never undergo, just by merely staying in my comfort zone.


7. I learned how to enjoy every bit of being independent.

It's scared to be all on your own, but I get to realize that nothing lasts forever. And this situation is no exemption. Being independent may have its scary consequences but it also has a lot to offer. I have learned so many things, lived a life I never had imagined, traveled to places I thought I could never reach, met people I had no connection with. I learned how to love the freedom that was given. I took photos, memories, love and experiences. As they say, enjoy it while it lasts. and I am glad I did. :)

Last sight of Dagupan's beautiful sunset
                 


Never be afraid to be on your own. If given a chance or opportunity, take it! A lot of experiences, lessons, memories and learning await you. After all, you might find something you are looking for all your life... outside your little box. :)



Love, Jane Vashner :)






No comments:

Post a Comment